An Annual General Meeting is a gathering of the general participation of an association. These associations incorporate enrollment affiliations and organizations with investors. These gatherings might be required by law or by the constitution, sanction, or by-laws administering the body. The meetings are held to lead the business in the interest of the association or organization.
An organization may conduct its business at the annual general meeting. The business may include electing a board of directors, making important decisions regarding the organization, and informing the members of previous and future activities. At this meeting, the shareholders and partners may receive copies of the company’s accounts, review fiscal information for the past year, and ask any questions regarding the directions the business will take in the future.
At the annual general meeting, the president or chairman of the organization presides over the meeting and may give an overall status of the organization. The secretary prepares the minutes and may be asked to read important papers. The treasurer may present a financial report. Other officers, the board of directors, and committees may give their reports. Attending this meeting are the members or the shareholders of the organization, depending on the type of organization.
Every state requires public company registration within it to hold an annual general meeting of shareholders to elect the Board of Directors and transact other business that requires shareholder approval. Notice of the annual general meeting must be in writing and is subject to a minimum notice period that varies by state
The notice of the Annual General Meeting can have various items of business to be taken up for consideration/ approval/ratification by the shareholder. The following is a format of notice of Annual General Meeting (AGM) having few of such items which mostly come for consideration and approval as per the regular practice,
Notice of Annual General Meeting (AGM)
NOTICE is hereby given that the __th Annual General Meeting of the members of _______ (Name of the Company), CIN:_______________________ will be held on _______(date), at _______(time) at _____________(Address), to transact the following businesses:
- To receive, consider, approve and adopt the audited Balance Sheet as of March 31, 2019, and Statement of Profit and Loss Account for the year ended on that date together with the reports of the Directors and the Auditors thereon.
- To approve payment of the dividend of Rs. __/- per equity share for the year ended March 31, 2019. (or ‘To declare the dividend on Equity Shares for the year ended March 31, 2019)
- To appoint a director in place of Mr. _________, Director (DIN:_______________) who retires by rotation and being eligible, offers himself for re-appointment.
- To appoint a director in place of Mr. _________, Director (DIN:_______________) who retires by rotation and being eligible, offers herself for re-appointment.
- To appoint Statutory Auditors and to fix their remunaration and in this regard to consider and, if thought fit, to pass with or without modification(s), the following resolution as an Ordinary Resolution. The retiring auditors M/s. ___________________, Chartered Accountants (Firm Regn. no. _________________) are eligible for re-appointment and have confirmed their willingness to accept office, if re-appointed.
“RESOLVED THAT M/s. ___________________, Chartered Accountants, (Firm Regn. no. _________________) be and are hereby appointed as Statutory Auditors of the Company, to hold office from the conclusion of this Annual General Meeting until the conclusion of the ______ Annual General Meeting of the Company on such remuneration as shall be fixed by the Board of Directors of the Company.”
You can also send notice of the Annual General Meeting by electronic mode.